Enham Regis was the residence of King Ethelred, who issued a law reflecting his concerns on the spread of paganism in 1008. Enham Village became Enham Alamein in 1945 following the gift by King Farouk of money from the Egyptian people in gratitude for Allied help in the victory of El Alamein. A special service on the anniversary of this battle is held annually. The chapel also serves as a memorial to the North African Campaign and has stained glass windows and Corps and Divisional signs on permanent display. The wrought iron gates were a gift from the Alamein Club in Cairo. The chapel was originally built as a reading room in 1893 and became St. George’s Chapel in 1923. It was licensed for services in 1959 and became part of the parish of Smannell with Enham Alamein in 1960. St. George’s Chapel was extended and refurbished in 1970.